Newsletter 2/28/20

It is hard to believe March is right around the corner.  I don’t know how this school year feels to you, but for me it is flying by.  We have lots of fun things planned for March is Reading Month so keep your eyes open for lots of notes/info on blogs and in folders.

MARCH IS READING MONTH

Every Friday we do something fun to celebrate March is Reading Month.  Here is a list of our fun Fridays.

Friday, March 6 – Wear Your SOAR shirt and tape Mrs. McClure to the Wall

Friday, March 13 – Wear your favorite sports team shirt

Friday, March 20 – Wear black and white for the BIG book reveal

Friday, March 27 – Bring sunglasses and a beach towel for beach party reading

We will also begin our ONE SCHOOL, ONE BOOK program on March 20th.  I can’t wait to see what this year’s book will be!

PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES

Thanks you to all the parents who have already signed up!  A can’t wait to show you how much your child has grown as a learner.  If you haven’t signed up yet and need help, please email me and let me know.  I would be more than happy to help!

READING

We have are now becoming avid NONFICTION readers by returning to All About the World books.  Kids are noticing Wow! things in the story (wow, that’s cool because or wow, that’s gross because).  They are also thinking of great questions about the pictures or the words (Why does a bee need 5 eyes?).  And they are looking for “fancy” words that teach about the subject (pollen, nectar, antennae).

WRITING

We continue on making the world a better place.  We are now focusing on writing letters only and are writing to people all over the world.  We are focusing on real world problems (spreading germs, being rude, killing animals, people fighting, not recycling, destroying habitats).  Yes, we can change the world and make it better by using our words!

MATH

We continue to work through Unit 3.  We are working with teen numbers and remember that every teen number is made of a ten group and some extra ones. (10 and 2 make 12, 10 and 6 make 16).  We have learned to do a “fast-finger flash” to show the numbers.  Ask your child if he/she can show it to you.  We are also focusing on solving addition and subtraction problems without picture clues.  We continue to work on tricks for +0/-0 and +1/-1.  We are working on using our fingers when we get stuck to solve the problem.

BAGGIE BOOKS AND LIBRARY BOOKS
are due EVERY Wednesday!

IMPORTANT DATES/INFO

Monday, March 2 – Tarry Hall Skating Party 6-8pm

Friday, March 6 – Early Release Friday (dismiss at 12:15pm)

Friday, March 6 – Chucky Cheese Fundraiser 12-9pm

3108 Alpine Avenue Northwest

Walker, MI

Monday, March 9 – Parent Teacher Conferences 5-8pm

Wednesday, March 11 – Parent Teacher Conferences 5-8pm

April 24 – Save the Date:  Alward Spring Carnival

May 16 – Save the Date:  Daddy/Daughter Dance