January 19, 2018

Order Forms for One Book, One School are due Friday, 1/26!

Dear Alward Families,

We are proud to present a unique opportunity to our students and families. Over the coming weeks, we will ALL be invited to participate in One School, One Book. Our school community will be reading a book which will be revealed on February 21.

What is it? In short, all families and staff will be given a copy of the same book. A reading schedule will be sent home to guide your family as you read the book from February 21-March 9. Everyone will also be given a bookmark schedule. Daily events here at school will have students discussing the book, including a kick-off reveal celebration, daily trivia questions, and school-wide celebration at the end.

What does this mean for me as a parent? Our school is asking (regardless if your child is a Pre-kindergartner or a fifth grader) that you read every word out loud as a family. For a few short weeks we will ask you to make reading this book an extra special nightly event in your home. What a chance for you to love literature together!

Why? Readtothem.org shares that, “The benefits of reading aloud are remarkable! Studies have shown that reading to children helps them to listen better and longer, build better vocabularies, understand concepts better, feel positive about both books and learning, and more. When an entire school reads the same book, the buzz and excitement around the book being read increases these benefits, and there is the added joy of building community in the school family.” This is not to mention the added benefit of spending real quality time with your children while promoting the benefits of reading and school! The big question!

How can a fifth grader and pre-kindergartner read the same book? The simple truth –they can’t all read it – but if it is read to them, they can all enjoy a good story.

Sincerely, Mrs. McClure

BIG IDEA:  Story Parts

*stories have titles, authors, and illustrators

*stories have characters  (people, animals, and/or objects)

*stories have settings (where the story takes place)

*stories have events  (beginning, middle, and end….we call it the plot)

*stories have problems and solutions

*we can retell a story by remembering all these parts

BIG IDEA:  Teen numbers and Number Partners

*I can read and write teen numbers.

*I can make/draw teen numbers using a tens group and extra ones.

*I can add number partners using my fingers or a dot picture.

BIG IDEA:   small moment story –  I write it independently.

*This is a story about me.

*It  is real and true, and has already happened to me.

*I can write my story with an introduction. (characters and setting)

*I can write my story with a beginning, middle, and an end.

*I can stretch my words and write the sounds I hear.

This week we were able to take the new sight word list and organize it into smaller manageable lists. Students will be given a word list, once they master the 8 words on that list, they will be handed the following list. Students will have these words posted in the classroom, will work on them with parapros, and will have words at their desk to review. However, it will be very important that students practice at home.

The expectation is that students know 25 words by March to be considered “on-grade-level” and 38-60 by the end of the year. However, the more words students know, the easier it is to navigate books independently. Please know that many of these words are words that your child has already been exposed to and already knows.

Here are the lists.  The eight words are set up left to right….top row week 1 (last week)…second row is week 2 (this week)

a           the          it          is          I          can          see          go

to         we           at         look      am      are          in            for

they     on           you      all         of         and        like         he

said     no           she       this      big        that       not         his

her      will        come     me      him       up         down     was

with     my        do          play      yes       some     have     one

two      what     out        there     your     be       but        had

as         each      get         from     find      them    many    where

One Hundred Day Project!

We will be celebrating the 100th day of school on Wednesday, February 7th! First, we will celebrate by displaying pictures of us when we are 100 years old on the bulletin board! I have attached a picture frame for our “When we are 100 years old!” board. Please help your Kindergartener create a picture of what they think they will look like when they are 100 years old!  You are welcome to draw, create with construction paper, use photos, etc. Have fun and be creative.  Please DO NOT allow students to grab a crayon and draw a quick picture. Please have this be a chest up portrait, not a full body! These will be displayed in the hallway. The portraits are due Friday, February 2nd.

Winter Gear

Please make sure winter gear is labeled.  Kindergartners are a forgetful bunch and they are leaving LOTS of winter wear on the floor.  Please make sure to label so we know who it belongs to.  We also have several kids who have the same mittens (Head brand).  It is important to label.

The weather is also going to affecting winter gear.  Please make sure to send it all!  Our playground is messy, sloppy, and muddy!  Winter gear helps keep your child clean too!    Many of you did not send back a winter “change of clothes” for your child, as so if they get muddy, we will be calling you to come with a change of clothes.

There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday, February 5 and Tuesday, February 6.

Happens the Friday before Winter Break.  Students will be dismiss at 12:15 PM on Friday, February 2

Please remember to email me if your child needs a sack lunch for the day and what kind of milk he/she would prefer.

Valentine’s Party

We will have our party on Wednesday, February 14 from 2:00-3:00 PM.  Thank you to the parents who have volunteered to help.  We have plenty of volunteers.

Valentine Cards

We will be exchanging Valentine Cards with our classmates.  Please send in by Monday, February 12.  That will give kids time to pass them out.  Please make sure your cards are CARDS ONLY….avoid treats, pencils, stickers, tattoos.  These often fall off and get lost…..I would LOVE to avoid  hurt feelings on this special day.  Just click the “Class List” at the top of the blog for kids names.

Make sure your child does the writing on the card to practice his/her printing skills.

Make sure they write neatly, so they can read the names on the card.

Do a few at a time (if needed).  Spread it out over the week….five a night!

Here is a link to last week’s newletter for special’s and other info:K News 1:18:18-2mu43k3